Saturday 29 September 2012

Everyone has a chance.

One of the topics my mind constantly falls to whilst I cycle, was inspired by something I probably didn't need to come all the way across a continent to witness. It was in my hotel room in Ohrid, Macedonia; and I was watching TV... I know- exploring the world, adventure, outdoors... I shouldn't be watching TV, but it was 11pm, I was in bed AND it was the Macedonian Discovery Channel. I think that just about makes it acceptable.

ANYWAY- the moment was thus; James May, of Top Gear fame, had just landed back on earth after flying up to 70, 000 ft- what in 1950, was considered space.
    As he climbs from the cockpit he says "If everybody could do that once, it would completely change the face of global politics, religion, everything."

It made me think about my trip. Imagine everybody could do this once. How would it change our world?

As I sit here in the Montenegrin sunset I think back over some of the moments I've been part of so far. I think of:


  • The English couple who made me tea.
  • Free peach juice in Albania because "the roads are difficult."
  • The Turkish sunrises.
  • Being kicked off my bicycle and asked for money by two boys on a motorbike. (I waved down a car and they sped off. No harm done.)
  • Being chased by no less than 15 dogs that, according to a Greek woman "have become like wolves because they have no owner."
  • The beer. 
  • The roads in Montenegro.
  • Greek salads.
  • Clouds of mosquitos.
  • The friends I have made.
  • The scenarios I dream up.
  • The plans I make for the future and how ridiculous they become after 2 double espressos for one pound, and 25km of downhill cycling.
  • Sweat stinging my eyes.
  • Clothes becoming solid with salt.
  • The roads in Albania.
  • Waking up in a peach orchard.
  • Having a snake slither below your tent whilst you are inside.
  • Free grapes.
  • Encouragement from the locals.
  • Inspirational messages from home.
  • Fresh mountain spring water.
  • The meat.
The list goes on...and on.

The point is, good or bad, all these moments have added together to the Aaron you'll meet tomorrow. They give me perspective on the world. Of its enormity; I'm cycling a long way. And of how small it is; I can actually cross a continent just by leg power!

   We all share this world and I think by meeting "the other" what ever that might be- proves that point. Every interaction, a smile, a punch, a look, a thought. They all feed into someone's life. If that can happen successfully in our comfortable life as we know it, imagine what would happen if everyone did as Aboriginal teenagers do, and went walkabout!

THE SMILES!

THE PUNCHES!

THE LOOKS!

THE THOUGHTS!

I can only experience how it affects my life- a punch is a negative to me- but to another, a world leader perhaps; it could be the life changing, manifesto altering interaction they've been waiting for!

In my first diary entry from Luton Airport, I wrote; 

"Everyone is so enthusiastic about my trip. The lust for adventure is present in so many it makes feel so lucky to be in this position."

So many have the desire to go and explore. I know how fortunate I am to be cycling across a continent. I know not everyone has the chance to do that. 

But everyone has the chance to go down a street they haven't been down before. 

Everyone can say hello to the good looking barista they've been avoiding from nervousness.

Everyone can smile at someone new.

Everyone can adventure outside of the lives they know.

Everyone can go on their own walkabout.

And believe me, it's not all punches and sweat!


3 comments:

  1. Hey Aaron. Love your work! Found the link through Alan's facebook. Great pedalling. Great words x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just came across your blog-inspirational stuff! Hope your next leg goes well. Keep safe. Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Visiting via Mags and glad she pointed me in your direction. You are SO right...travel changes how one looks and thinks about the world. You get an *attaboy* for taking on this trip; this amazing, life changing trip.
    Life truly is an adventure, especially when partnered with Christ; even through the hardships, life is truly a grand adventure!
    Be safe and be well.

    ReplyDelete